Sulphured Dried Apricots are treated with SO2 in order to provide color retention and longer the shelf life .The color of this type changes from light yellow to orange. The SO2 content is max 2000 ppm for European countries and between 2500-3000 for USA and others. Also if the buyer needs a special content it can be adjusted as well. The color is lighter as the SO2 content increases. Natural (Unsulphured) Dried Apricots differs from sulphured apricots in color, the color of this type changes from light brown to dark brown this is because these apricots are directly dried under the sunlight without being treated with SO2.
There are two groups, natural and sulphured and four quality classes, extra, first, second and industrial classes. In Turkish Standards, the two important quality criteria of dried apricots are, moisture and SO2 contents, which should not exceed 25 % and 0,20 % (2000ppm) by weight respectively.
Count per kg.
0 / Jumbo
61 - 80
36mm or larger
81 - 100
32mm – 36mm
101 - 102
29 mm – 36mm
121 – 140
26mm – 32mm
141 – 160
24mm – 29mm
161 – 180
24mm – 26mm
181 – 200
21mm – 26mm
201 – 220
20mm or less
220 or more
Sun Dried Apricot Specifications
1. Product Name Turkish Whole Pitted Sun Dried Apricots (Sulphur treated)
2. Country of Origin Turkey
3. Description Sulphur treated sun dried apricots are washed, calibrated, selected, packed.
4. Ingredients Apricot, E220
5. Packaging Info 5 kgs, 12,5 kgs bulk or toplayered cartons Food grade blue PE liners in 12,5 kgs carton boxes
6. Labelling Origin, Lot no, Crop, Grade, Size no, Quantity, Net weight, Production Date and Best before information are printed on each box.
7. Organoleptical Requirements
Colour: Yellow, orange-yellow, orange.
(natural apricots: typical Brown)
Taste : The fruit must have characteristic sweet flavor of Malatya apricots with no evidence of off flavors, including fermentation
Smell : Typical Turkish apricot odour with slightly SO2 smell and without off odours, including fermentation
Texture : Slightly soft, wholesome and faq of the season
Moisture : Max.23% or 24 %
Physical defects ;